Quick Links

Quick Links

Back to top

Earlham Primary School

Special Education Needs and Inclusion

The Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Code of Practice states that:

“A pupil has SEND where their learning difficulty or disability calls for special educational provision, that is provision different from or additional to that normally available to pupils of the same age.”

The SEND Code of Practice sets out four broad categories of need. These are:

  • Communication and Interaction
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
  • Sensory and Physical Needs

We are committed to ensuring that every child achieves the best possible outcomes and our practices and procedures ensure that pupils' special educational needs are identified quickly.  If additional specialist advice or support is necessary we will work with external agencies ie, The NHS, educational psychologists and play therapists.  We believe that a multi disciplinary approach should be taken to ensure that we meet the pupils' special educational needs. 




Earlham Primary School is a mainstream maintained primary school which strives to include pupils with any of the four areas of need (communication and interaction, cognition and learning, social, emotional and mental health and physical need) who are either on the SEN/D register or have an EHCP.

How will I be consulted?

You will be informed at the outset if we assess that your child has Special Educational needs. At parents’ evenings, you will be informed of any interventions and support that they are receiving.

You will always be consulted if we need to refer your child to external agencies, for example child development, speech and language or CAMHS.

If your child has an EHCP, there will be termly target meetings to which you will be invited to attend.

You are also encouraged to contact the office to arrange a meeting with the inclusion lead if you have any concerns

How will my child be consulted?

Where appropriate, children will be consulted about their views on their progress. If they have an EHCP, they will be invited to Annual review meetings and at times target meetings. At these meetings they will be encouraged to say what they did well and what they would like to work on next.

How will you assess my child?

If the teacher has a concern about your child, the Inclusion Lead will want to understand their needs better. To do this, she may observe them in class, ask them to do some work together or carry out a standardised assessment. The results of any assessments will be shared with you and next steps discussed.

What is the SEN/D Register and how will I know if my child is on it?

The SEN/D register is a document that is kept by the Inclusion Lead and lists the pupils in the school who have SEN/D and their area of need. If a pupil is on the SEN/D register it means that they need support to access learning. This may be in the form of extra support in class, a group intervention or support from an external agency. You will be informed if your child is placed on the SEN/D register and of the support which they are receiving.

How can a child with SEN/D access facilities at Earlham?

We recently moved into a wonderful new building which has a lift and wide corridors.

The playground has slopes so that any pupil can access any area. The dining hall is also accessible by a slope.

How are children with SEN/D able to access learning and activities at Earlham?

All our classrooms are inclusion friendly; we aim to teach in a way which will support all children so that they can all access the full National Curriculum. We do this by where necessary adapting the content and how it is taught. Children with SEN/D are fully included at Earlham and we pride ourselves on an inclusive learning environment where all children are treated equally and have access to all the opportunities that we provide. Where necessary, we provide extra support to enable this to happen. This may be an extra adult or visual support in class, differentiated work or individual targets.

How will my child be taught?

Your child will be taught in the way which best suits their learning needs. Teaching will be adapted accordingly, eg using coloured overlays for dyslexia, providing visual support for pupils with communication difficulties or different workbooks for pupils with visual impairments. Where possible, the child will be supported in the classroom however sometimes interventions need to take place out of the class – these interventions are outlined later in this document.

Which agencies does the school work with?

Earlham Primary school has links with a number of external agencies which include speech and language therapy, CAMHS, Hope, occupational therapy and educational psychology. We also have a play therapist who visit the school to work with identified children on a weekly basis.

How will I know if an agency is working with my child?

We will always consult you if we think that an agency needs to support your child and where reports are gained, these will be shared. 

What is an EHCP?

An EHCP is an Education Health Care Plan and is a statutory document which is a detailed plan provided by the Borough in which the child lives on the support that they need to address their special needs.

How can I get an EHCP for my child?

If you feel that your child needs an EHCP, please arrange an appointment to meet with the Inclusion Lead. From the time that the EHC request is submitted to the SEN department of the Borough, there is a 20 week process.

What support will an EHCP give my child?

An EHCP will outline the support that your child needs. This is often delivered by a Teaching Assistant who works alongside the class teacher. Where possible, your child will be supported in the classroom with their peers.

How will my child be supported if they join Earlham?

If we are aware that your child has special needs before they join us, where possible and prior to them starting with us, we will consult with their previous setting so that we can understand how to help them best.

How will my child be supported when they change class?

If your child has an EHCP or identified needs which require careful support during periods of transition, they will have a 'social story' and extra visits to their new class.

How will my child be supported moving on from Earlham?

Where appropriate, meetings and/or visits will be made either by or to the new school. A social story may also be created to support transition.

Records and reports will be shared in a timely manner and in line with GDPR.